RE: [xsl] Regular Expressions in XPath 2.0

Subject: RE: [xsl] Regular Expressions in XPath 2.0
From: "Michael Kay" <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2007 00:16:52 +0100
> 1) Are regular expressions in XPath 2.0 identical or are they
> similar to those in Perl?

Similar but not identical. Pretty well a subset of what's in Perl.

> 2) What would be the best approach to re-learn Regular
> Expressions with respect to XPath 2.0, I know I have to first
> re-learn the basics of regular expressions too.

You've had pointers to various tutorials.

> I think there's a standard for Regular Expressions and each
> programming language specializes or deviates from the standard.

There's no standard. but in recent years many languages have imitated Perl
to some extent, despite the fact that Perl regular expressions are very
poorly specified (try for example to find the rules on when \n is a
back-reference and when it is an octal character escape).

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/