RE: [xsl] suggestions for per request xslt performance?

Subject: RE: [xsl] suggestions for per request xslt performance?
From: "Andrew Mason" <andrew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2007 10:44:53 +0950
> > The web development company I work for is using libxsl
> via PHP5.
>
> PHP appears to be one of those languages that gives you
> great development productivity until you want to do
> something a little bit more complicated, and then it
> leaves you stranded. Someone who knows it better than I do
> can probably help you over this little hurdle, but there
> will be another one in a few weeks' time.

I agree, I really like Java, however Sun has yet to free
Java and running
Java on OpenBSD is just not stable enough for us at the
moment.
Does libXml/ libXslt even have a Java API ? I know there are
processing
different engines available with Java but we are really
happy with
libxml/libxslt and it's proven to be very reliable and fast
for what we are
doing.

The other thing with java is that, it creates this large
sandbox
environment, which is fantastic for running high performance
applications.
You have things like database connection pools, XSLT
processors etc..all
available on demand for your application. When you have lots
and lots of
little sites, which don't get large amounts of traffic, you
have all these
services sitting idle in memory waiting to be used.

It's also not just PHP that operates on a  per request
basis. Most scripting
languages work with apache in this way. Thus they will have
a significant
portion of each request time taken to import the stylesheet.

I don't particularly like PHP either, however thats what the
company uses
and I doubt I can change this and I don't really want to
leave my job :).
Afaik python, ruby have this problem also. After some more
research I
believe mod_perl2 has the ability to share xslt processors
in memory but I
_personally_ don't like the syntax of perl and I've got 0
chance of getting
the system admin to run apache2.

I really appreciate your comments, however I'm not really
looking for a
which language is better discussion at this time.  I'm
trying to see what
options are available (to us at the moment) in regards to
reducing the cost
of importing the stylesheet. If there are things that we can
do from an xslt
level, or if there are things that can be done from a
libxslt level to
reduce that. If it is with in the realms of possibility to
cache xslt
processors after they have been built and be able to load
them , I am sure
that we could convince the boss to pay someone to add this
functionality, if
someone was willing to do it in libxslt. ( I can probably
patch the PHP
implementation to support this if it is available with
libxslt).

kind regards
Andrew M

The bottom line