Re: [xsl] XSLT Text Processing: Fun with Anagrams

Subject: Re: [xsl] XSLT Text Processing: Fun with Anagrams
From: "Rashmi Rubdi" <rashmi.sub@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2007 00:13:14 -0400
On 4/24/07, Dimitre Novatchev <dnovatchev@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I also noticed the Calculator written in XSL that you mentioned about
> in one of your previous posts
> http://fxsl.sourceforge.net/articles/xslCalculator/The%20FXSL%20Calculator.html
> -- it's too advanced for me to understand at this point, but it
> definitely shows what could be accomplished.
>
> Thanks again.

Yes, the question is not so much what can be accomplished with XSLT (it is a Turing-complete language), but how the solution can be expressed using XSLT in a more compact, elegant and efficient way.

In this respect XSLT 2.0 is a big step forward. When combined with
FXSL, the solutions are intuitive and sometimes much more
straight-forward to arrive at, and very often they are one liners
(which means just one XPath expression or just one FXSL function
call).

Because you seem interested in XSLT solutions for challenging problems, I'd also recommend looking at a few more problems such as:

Thanks, I'll have a look the the other simpler examples soon.

Most projects I've worked on in the corporate world involved creating
web-pages, with back-end database interaction which can be
accomplished with standard MVC frameworks.

But, very interesting things taught in school are hardly applied in
some work envrionments, but now I have an opportunity to be in an
environment where things like Binary Search, Binary Tree
representation, Recursion (all things taught in school) are encouraged
along with ways to optimize the solution.

So most of the examples you've written will be useful, and I'll take a look.

- generating Fibonacci numbers;

- determining whether a number is prime.

- producing the concordance of large text corpora.

- solving Sudoku puzzles

   - various graph algorithms such as finding one or all or the
minimal route between two nodes. Years ago I played with the "Street
Sweeper" algorithm for Eulerization of a graph.

--
Cheers,
Dimitre Novatchev