Re: [xsl] Invoking XSLT 2.0

Subject: Re: [xsl] Invoking XSLT 2.0
From: Abel Braaksma <abel.online@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2007 13:41:32 +0200
Colin Adams wrote:
From: Abel Braaksma <abel.online@xxxxxxxxx>

Note that Saxon also has a way of specifying an input source *and* an initial template (which is allowed according to the spec). You must use the -s option, added, I believe, in the 8.9 version of Saxon.

Gestalt has always allowed this, and no special option is needed (nor can I see why one ought to be needed).

In XSLT 1.0, it was not allowed to have both. The commandline syntax was different for -it and without -it:

   saxon -it main yourstylesheet.xslt
   saxon yourstylesheet.xslt yourinput.xml

I believe Michael chose not to break backward compatibility for commandline syntax and added -s to extend Saxon with the new feature of XSLT 2:

saxon -it main -s yourinput.xml yourstylesheet.xslt

Of course, one can argue that this were a viable calling convention too:

saxon -it main yourstylesheet.xslt yourinput.xml

but it was not allowed previously and raised an error, I believe. For the record, it was discussed in this thread: http://www.nabble.com/Is-Saxon-%28on-commandline%29-not-capable-of-handling-both-initial-template-and-an-input-source-document--tf2928226.html#a8186520

-- Abel