Re: [xsl] suggestions for per request xslt performance?

Subject: Re: [xsl] suggestions for per request xslt performance?
From: Nic James Ferrier <nferrier@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2007 14:28:57 +0100
"Andrew Mason" <andrew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> I really appreciate your comments, however I'm not really looking
> for a which language is better discussion at this time.  I'm trying
> to see what options are available (to us at the moment) in regards
> to reducing the cost of importing the stylesheet. If there are
> things that we can do from an xslt level, or if there are things
> that can be done from a libxslt level to reduce that. If it is with
> in the realms of possibility to cache xslt processors after they
> have been built and be able to load them , I am sure that we could
> convince the boss to pay someone to add this functionality, if
> someone was willing to do it in libxslt. ( I can probably patch the
> PHP implementation to support this if it is available with libxslt).

This is really a libxslt question.... but I'll answer it anyway.

1. libxslt DOES have a Java implementation; you can find one at GNU's
ClasspathX:

   http://www.gnu.org/software/classpathx

  also search for libxmlj

2. there are hardware accelerators which can significantly help your
xslt... this is a cool "plugin" approach

3. if you have any kind of persistent store with PHP you can cache the
stylesheet. I've managed to do it on python. I had to add
transform_contexts to the python wrapper though, to make that
possible.

--
Nic Ferrier
http://www.tapsellferrier.co.uk