[xsl] XSLT Newbie - Need help with DOCTYPE, namespaces, and stuff

Subject: [xsl] XSLT Newbie - Need help with DOCTYPE, namespaces, and stuff
From: Daniel Lo Nigro <dansoftaus@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2007 21:26:38 +1000 (EST)
Hi everyone,
 I'm making a XSLT stylesheet for XML files for SMF
(simplemachines.org) modifications. Even though the
XSLT stylesheet looks correct, it doesn't seem to work
with the XML files. However, when I comment out the
doctype (and remove the xmlns="" from the root
element), the XSLT stylesheet works fine.

Here's what the XML file looks like normally:
===
<?xml version="1.0"?>
<?xml-stylesheet href="package-info.xsl"
type="text/xsl"?>
<!DOCTYPE package-info SYSTEM
"http://www.simplemachines.org/xml/package-info";>

<package-info
xmlns="http://www.simplemachines.org/xml/package-info";
xmlns:smf="http://www.simplemachines.org/";>
</package-info>
===

And here's how I edited it to make it work:
===
<?xml version="1.0"?>
<?xml-stylesheet href="package-info.xsl"
type="text/xsl"?>

<package-info>
</package-info>
===

My question is, how do I make it work with XML files
that have the doctype and xmlns defined?

The XSLT stylesheet was originally made using
Dreamweaver 8, but I eventually recoded most of it in
a plain text editor.

XSLT stylesheet:
http://server.daniel15.com/smf/xml/xslt/package-info.xsl
Working XML file: