[xsl] Re: XSLT 2.0: Schema-aware processor: What are the compelling advantages over a non-SA processor?

Subject: [xsl] Re: XSLT 2.0: Schema-aware processor: What are the compelling advantages over a non-SA processor?
From: "Gerald Sheehan" <gerald.sheehan@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2007 16:55:55 -0400
> Another processor that claims both stability and compliance to XSLT
2.0
>+ SA is Altova's one, which is part of the free AltovaXML set.
>Unfortunately, there is no forum, no mailing list and no response from
>Altova about compliance issues, state of bugs or planned features,
which
>makes it a bit hard to give a good judgment. I send several reports to
>them about bugs and non-compliance, but unfortunately never received a
>reply.... Hopefully one day they decide to give more openness about the

>product, the planning, the bugs etc.

There is a forum at the following page,
http://www.altova.com/forum/default.aspx?g=forum. As always, Support can
be reached from the following page,
http://www.altova.com/support_center.html. We have received your reports
about bugs, (not all claims were true, and any bugs we confirmed, we
gave you a tracking number so you could always follow up with us or
check our release notes pages,
http://www.altova.com/releasenotes/Default.aspx. Your comments have also
been forwarded and we appreciate any feedback as to improve our
products.

>In addition, as far as I know, it is not possible to use Altova from a
>programming environment (other then opening a shell and start it), it
is
>not possible to provide your own uri resolvers, xml parsers or message
>listeners etc. But for a free non open source product, it can help you
>test the basics of XSLT + SA, just don't use it in a production
>environment (but I believe it is not meant for that anyway).

We have a powerful com interface that can be used to integrate our
processor into other projects. There is a general description under
http://www.altova.com/altovaxml.html. The online documentation is found
under: http://www.altova.com/manual2007/AltovaXML/ . This explains how
it can be used. AltovaXML can be used from the command line, via a COM
interface, in Java programs, and in .NET applications. If you download
the application (for free) there are a few (small) examples showing how
it is used in Java, CPP and C#.

>Altova claim that their XSLT 2.0 product is schema-aware. (I've been
able to
>get output validation working but not input validation. If anyone can
tell
>me where I went wrong, please let me know!)

I had no problems with input validation. The latest version of AltovaXML
is now 9.3.0.0 If you can include a specific example that would help.

Simple test result
Validation Error
Element <head> is not allowed under element <html>. at html
C:\Program Files\Altova\AltovaXML2007\videos.xslt
Line 4, Character 4

Best regards,

Jerry

... Jerry Sheehan