[xsl] Understanding why <tag></tag> is the way it is (was Re: [xsl] IE Client side transformation issue)

Subject: [xsl] Understanding why <tag></tag> is the way it is (was Re: [xsl] IE Client side transformation issue)
From: "M. David Peterson" <m.david@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 02 Aug 2007 19:22:14 -0600
On Thu, 02 Aug 2007 19:14:32 -0600, Abel Braaksma <abel.online@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

About the spec thing, isn't it something from SGML heritage? I mean,
the SGML <br> on itself (without closing tag)? And wasn't it also SGML
heritage that allowed <option selected> and XML forced more strict rules
and made it <option selected="selected">?

Oh, that's definitely a question for Tommie or someone else with similar SGML background like G. Ken Holman, Dr. Kay, or David Carlisle.

Any of you folks care to clue the rest of us in?

And we're still struggling to get rid of our past

Truer words have never been spoken ;-) :D

NOTE: While this may seem off-topic for XSL-List, I would argue that based
on the various problems associated with the rendering of HTML via an XSLT
closely related to XSLT from several different perspectives.

--
/M:D

M. David Peterson
http://mdavid.name | http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/au/2354 |