Re: [xsl] template matching problem # 18,012

Subject: Re: [xsl] template matching problem # 18,012
From: Steve <subsume@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2007 18:31:16 -0400
Forgive me for being vague. Oftentimes I'm not transforming the XML
but rather grabbing it via the document() function (the XML I am
transforming is typically a record of client data and my templates
match those).

I have an XML file 'Definitions.xml' which I bring in via document()
and looks something like:

<root>
   <programs>
     <option>A</option>
     <option>B</option>
     <option>C</option>
   </programs>
  <people>
     <person>Dimitre</person>
     <person>Michael</person>
  </people>
  <department name="Studio">
    <subDepartment>Design</subDepartment>
    <subDepartment>Programming</subDepartment>
    <subDepartment ignore='true'>Janitorial Fun</subDepartment>
   </department>
</root>

My template with mode="select" gives me the precise output I desire,
however, a technicality I don't like here is that in order to get a
dropdown box it seems to me that I must match the parent node in order
to get a list of options of the children. Rather, I'd like to pass my
template the children nodes (because its possible to ignore my @ignore
sample element above). But when I do this I get a dropdown box for
each child.

Sample usage:

<xsl:apply-templates mode="select"
match="document('Definitions.xml')/root/department[not(subDepartment/@ignore)]"

   <xsl:with-param name="id" select="'subDepartments'" />
</xsl:apply-templates>

If I understand the above usage below, the subDepartment with
ignore='true' won't be excluded. Again, my template is below. The
match node is parent (programs, people, department), when I'd rather
have it be the child.