Re: [xsl] Survey - XSL-FO Processors

Subject: Re: [xsl] Survey - XSL-FO Processors
From: B Tommie Usdin <btusdin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2007 17:35:45 -0400
Selecting an FO processor is a challenging task; there are many on the market and each has a target use/market/environment in which it shines. I think asking for recommendations and capabilities on this list makes a lot of sense; I hope it helps you find a short list of products to investigate further.

It will be easier for people (or vendors) to provide meaningful answers if you clarify some of your requirements. For example, you write:

1. High performance, large file size processing.

What do you mean by this? 100 pages per minute? 100,000 pages per minute.
Some people think 10 MB files are large. Others think 10 GB files are large. Or do you mean 100 page documents? Or 1,000 or 10,000 page documents?

2. Complex layouts with intensive graphics (inserted jpgs and generated
svg code)

Some people think two column pages with headers, footers, and tables that span the two columns are complex. Others have pages with hundreds of separately defined areas and dozens of page designs in a publication.

4. Commercial print quality required

I recently received an advertisement for a printer who guaranteed "professional quality 300 dpi two-color pages". Is this what you want? If not, what do you mean?