Re: [xsl] html as input to xslt

Subject: Re: [xsl] html as input to xslt
From: B Tommie Usdin <btusdin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2007 11:14:10 -0400
You are asking a perfectly reasonable question. Unfortunately, you don't really supply enough information to make it easy to answer except in the most general way. That, super-general answer is "yes, one can transform XHTML documents using XSLT". But that doesn't really address your question. From the list guidelines:

You will improve the chances that you will receive prompt and helpful responses by:

  - asking specific enough questions that answers are possible. Describe
    what you are trying to do, how you approached it, what happened, and
    why you don't like the result you got

  - supplying small samples of files that illustrate your question or
    problem. For example, an XML file, an XSLT stylesheet, the result
    you got, and the result you want - all in miniature (and remembering
    that everything posted to XSL-List is archived in public)

Please re-post, showing small samples of your stylesheet, etc. Remember that everything posted to XSL-List will be archived in public.

-- Tommie

This is probably a naive question, but I could not find it in the archives.

Can I transform xhtml documents using xsl, or does this just not make sense?

I'm trying to replace a tag with a specified attribute to another tag.

The only xpath that does anything is *, which dumps the text of the html.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<xsl:stylesheet xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform"; version="1.0">
<xsl:template match="/">
<verse>
<xsl:value-of select="*"/>
</verse>
</xsl:template>
</xsl:stylesheet>

I'm using xsltproc and saxon8, both of which do the same thing.

B. Tommie Usdin                        mailto:btusdin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  Mulberry Technologies: A Consultancy Specializing in XML and SGML