RE: [xsl] [XSL] Accessing part of the result tree illustrated with "The Sudoku solver" example.

Subject: RE: [xsl] [XSL] Accessing part of the result tree illustrated with "The Sudoku solver" example.
From: "Michael Kay" <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2007 23:00:41 +0100
> > Such a construct would only really be useful if you could
> rely on the
> > processor evaluating all the items  in a for-each in order,
> but that
> > is explictly not the case. One of the benefits of a side
> effect free
> > language is that it is naturally parallelisable. ....
>
> I'm just wondering now why this explanation is not given with
> the W3C norm.

It's not the job of a standard or specification to educate its readers or
justify its approach. That needs to be done, but doesn't belong in the
specification.

> I have another limitation: on my laptop with Pentium M 2GHz,
> Saxon (Java) takes 100% CPU when calculating things like
> Sudoku, and you would expect that !
> But on my Core 2 Duo desktop, it does not go above 50%,
> although it takes CPU on both sides of the processor
> (according to the Microsoft standard CPU-meter).

That's an interesting observation: I'm not surprised by it, but it's nice to
have confirmation of what I suspected would be the case.

There are currently very few cases where Saxon uses more than one thread.
One the whole, the benefits don't justify the overhead, especially as I
think the most performance-critical workloads are on a server that is
generally doing many transformations at the same time and therefore has
plenty of opportunities to use multiple processors. But there are cases
where using a dual processor more effectively to improve the latency of a
single batch job would be useful, and it's one of those things I will do
when I get a round tuit.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/