Re: [xsl] Trying to understand root-less or document-node-less nodes

Subject: Re: [xsl] Trying to understand root-less or document-node-less nodes
From: David Carlisle <davidc@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2007 09:50:36 +0100
> David Carlisle wrote:
> > <xsl:variable name="y2">
> >  <xsl:copy-of select=$x/x/b"/>
> > </xsl:variable>
> >

> I assume, in light of the rest you told, that consequently the same
> statement with xsl:sequence will yield a copy,

yes, in theory the copying happens at slightly different times but that
isn't observable.

As written the copy happens at the xsl:copy so the sequence constructed
has copies of the nodes, then this sequence is copied (again) as
children of the implictly generated document node.

With xsl:sequence the initialy constructed sequence is the sequence of
original nodes, but that sequence is copied as the children of the
implicit document node.

So they end up being the same thing 9and  may well in an implementation
be implemented the same way, I doubt that saxon really copies all the
nodes twice in the first example.

David