Re: [xsl] Recognizing non-XML Markup Structure

Subject: Re: [xsl] Recognizing non-XML Markup Structure
From: Abel Braaksma <abel.online@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2007 09:55:56 +0200
J. S. Rawat wrote:
Jeff thanks for your quick efforts. I am using saxon8 in the dos mode as below
java -jar saxon8.jar a.xml a.xsl >a.htm

and getting "run-time errors were reported."

Saxon is much more specific when it comes to errors. Either you have a really old version (try -? and check the version, it should *at least* be 8.9) or you are internally accidentally using the wrong processor (try system-property, see the list guidelines). It helps a lot of you paste the exact errors here.

Why are you calling saxon using the old-style commandline syntax? Maybe you weren't aware yet (but I believe saxon warns if you use the old style), but you should be calling it like so:

java -jar saxon8.jar -s a.xml -o a.htm a.xsl

or:

java -jar saxon8.jar -s a.xml > a.htm

Not working!!!
ERROR: The child axis starting at a text() node will never select anything
You don't copy the error correctly. Please be specific, otherwise it is very hard for us on this list to help you correctly and we waste both your and our time trying to find out what you mean. If you have the following bit in your stylesheet:

   <xsl:template match="text()">
       <xsl:apply-templates></xsl:apply-templates>
   </xsl:template>

or any variant there-of (i.e., inside the matching text()[...] of jeff sese trying to do apply-templates) you will get a *warning*, not an error. The warning will list both the line number and the filename where the warning occurs. In your case, it could've been something like this:

Warning: on line 25 of file:/test-rawat.xslt:
 The child axis starting at a text() node will never select anything

And a warning *never* stops processing. That means that your output is probably still something (and not nothing). Show us the *real* input you are using and the *real* output you are getting and the *real* error. Or better yet, do as Jeff Sese, and try his solution. It works, really, and go from there. If you got trouble again when trying to adopt his solution to yours, you post a new question or a follow-up.

Cheers,
-- Abel Braaksma