RE: [xsl] Future of XSL Stylesheet Writing?

Subject: RE: [xsl] Future of XSL Stylesheet Writing?
From: "Michael Kay" <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2007 10:14:08 +0100
The tool just announced by RenderX is not the first; one of my clients has
been using a similar tool from AntennaHouse.  They've been working around
its limitations by doing pre-transformations on the input and
post-transformations on the output, so I forwarded the announcement to them;
they've tried the new tool and the first indications are that like the
Antenna House tool it does 90% of what they need but leaves them with
problems doing the other 10%.

That's always the problem with code-generators. They work by stereotyping
the solutions to common use-cases, and they always leave you stuck when your
problem departs from the stereotype. It leaves you with messy choices
between (a) living with the fact there are some things you can't do, or (b)
tweaking the output, and in the case of (b), either (b1) trying to make your
tweaks reproducible so you can rerun them every time you regenerate the
code, or (b2) using the code generator as a one-off getting started tool,
and not using it for subsequent maintenance.

And then of course there is the problem of errors. Few code generators
manage to map errors back into the design space - to understand the errors,
you need to understand the generated code.

That's not to say that such tools can't improve programmer productivity. But
they certainly have a long way to go before they are usable by people who
have no knowledge of the target language. (Incidentally the first wysiwyg
XSL programming tool I saw, which is long since forgotten, was around 2001.
It was beautifully and expensively produced, but couldn't do anything of any
complexity at all.)

Now, will your XSLT/XSL-FO skills serve you for 5-10 years? Yes, if you
choose to let them. But these days, if you're not mastering a significant
new technology once a year, then you're not keeping up.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/