Re: [xsl] Future of XSL Stylesheet Writing?

Subject: Re: [xsl] Future of XSL Stylesheet Writing?
From: Jim Melton <jim.melton@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2007 10:52:56 -0600
At 9/28/2007 01:20 AM, James Fuller wrote:
Hello,

I will guess that XSLT will remain relevant for the next 3-4 years,
with 7 years being the 'horizon of relevant usage' tailing off past
that time (critical systems going into maintenance mode will always
need experts to maintain).

Oh, definitely...SQL was popular for only about 7 years and then abandoned. Oh, wait, it's over 20 years old, still under active development, and still the most widely used language for *new* database-related applications by at least one order (and perhaps two orders) of magnitude. Not to be too sarcastic, but almost everybody who predicts that technology X will be abandoned/overtaken/replaced in "just a few years" have had to move into new predictive fields when they're proven wrong. I can name a half-dozen programming languages that are getting 10 times as many *new* applications than newer, fancier languages that were predicted to obliterate the older ones.

As an aside, I have based my time predictions on other events in the
future, for example 2013/2014 is the date whereby most geophysicists
and petro companies see oil usage/price attaining the critical break
even point where all sorts of things become vastly unprofitable (like
shipping a banana a few thousand miles).... there will be a
significant impact on computing at this time as people will start (in
western countries this will start; this type of decision is being made
now in third world countries) making decisions like 'should I drive'
or 'should I use the internet'

I've been using this decision paradigm for at least a half-decade already, as do most of my friends and colleagues. I think it may have already started in the west...

Feeling a bit snarky,
   Jim

.... no doubt the former will win out.

There are always other factors that determine successful software, and
usually change is imposed by fundamental shifts in hardware.  I
believe these fundamental hardware improvements will eventually push
us into using languages that are designed for parallel processing;
which may mean that XSLT loses out.

hth, Jim Fuller

Jim Melton --- Editor of ISO/IEC 9075-* (SQL) Phone: +1.801.942.0144
Co-Chair, W3C XML Query WG; F&O (etc.) editor Fax : +1.801.942.3345
Oracle Corporation Oracle Email: jim dot melton at oracle dot com
1930 Viscounti Drive Standards email: jim dot melton at acm dot org
Sandy, UT 84093-1063 USA Personal email: jim at melton dot name
= Facts are facts. But any opinions expressed are the opinions =
= only of myself and may or may not reflect the opinions of anybody =
= else with whom I may or may not have discussed the issues at hand. =