[xsl] Blank lines in transformed XML

Subject: [xsl] Blank lines in transformed XML
From: "Thomas Jackie R Ctr HQ 754 ELSG/LRM" <Jackie.Thomas.Ctr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2007 07:45:49 -0600
We are transforming xml being output by a program into xml to match our
xml schema.  We basically copy the original xml in the following way:
<xsl:template match="/"><xsl:apply-templates /></xsl:template> and/or
<xsl:template match="*"><xsl:copy><xsl:apply-templates
/></xsl:copy></xsl:template> and then we maniputlate the xml where
needed. In doing so we rename tags, manipulate tag contents and omit
tags altogether.  The way we are omitting tags is with a blank template
match.  For example <xsl:template match="title"/> is our way of omitting
any <title> tags from our transformed xml.  The problem is, the
transformed xml now has blank lines anywhere a <title> tag would have
appeared.

How do we remove the blank lines from the transformed xml.  We are using
xml/xslt 1.0 and the xerces parser.  Thanks for any help.