Re: [xsl] Iterating recursivly on a node changing the element names

Subject: Re: [xsl] Iterating recursivly on a node changing the element names
From: "Andrew Welch" <andrew.j.welch@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2007 10:18:27 +0000
On 21/11/2007, ML mail <mlnospam@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Dear list,
>
> I would like to modify the name of my elements of a
> certain node to
>  make it use a new namespace so for that I somehow
> need an iteration
>  process which goes through a specific node and adds a
> prefix to all of my
>  elements. Let's say I have the following:
>
> <start attr="myattr">
>     <two>
>         <three>3</three>
>         <four>4</four>
>     </two>
> </start>
>
> I need to make it look like this after processing:
>
> <nsprefix:start attr="myattr">
>     <nsprefix:two>
>         <nsprefix:three>3</nsprefix:three>
>         <nsprefix:four>4</nsprefix:four>
>     </nsprefix:two>
> </nsprefix:start>
>

> I started creating a template for that and defining
> all the nodes under
>  the start node but this sounds quite stupid because
> if there are many
>  different possibilites it makes a whole lot of checks
> to build. So I
>  was thinking it's much easier to just detect the
> start element and then
>  iterate through all of it's child elements (in my
> case: two, three four)
>  and add the prefix to these elements. Unfortunately I
> didn't manage to
>  do that. Can someone provide me help on how to
> acheive that ?

Use the standard identity template with a specific template to put
<start> and all of it's descendants into the namespace:

    <xsl:template match="@*|node()">
        <xsl:copy>
        </xsl:copy>
    </xsl:template>

    <xsl:template match="*[ancestor-or-self::start]">
        <xsl:element name="nsprefix:{local-name()}">
            <xsl:copy-of select="@*"/>
            <xsl:apply-templates/>
        </xsl:element>
    </xsl:template>

...make sure "nsprefix" is mapped somewhere.

cheers
--
Andrew Welch
http://andrewjwelch.com