Re: [xsl] Identity and Modified identity transforms

Subject: Re: [xsl] Identity and Modified identity transforms
From: Florent Georges <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2007 16:16:51 +0100 (CET)
Michael Kay WROTE:

  Hi

> I usually use "modified identity transform" to mean an
> identity template supplemented by additional templates for
> specific nodes"

  I agree.  To answer your question, Andrew, that's exactly
what I mean when I use "the Modified Identity pattern."  I
like to use the word "pattern" here because that's really a
pattern.  It can show up under several shapes, but code
becomes usually clear when you see "this stylesheet uses the
Modified Identity pattern" or "this mode is used to apply
the Modified Identity pattern."

> The pattern above is one I usually refer to as "sibling
> recursion".  Since that also covers use of any templates
> in a sibling-based tree walk, it should perhaps be
> "sibling recursion using identity template".

  I should have said "identity pattern using sibling
recursion," but maybe that's because I'm french-speaking ;-).

  But I think the point is that both are patterns.  If you
say to someone that your are using Modified Identity or
Sibling Recursion, he should directly see what you mean,
even if there are many ways to write them.  And even to
combine them, as in this case; they don't exclude each
other.

  I guess we could say Modified Identity is a behavioral
pattern while Sibling Recursion is a walking or traversal
pattern.

  Regards,

--drkm