Re: [xsl] ANN: 'Testing XSLT' training course PDF available

Subject: Re: [xsl] ANN: 'Testing XSLT' training course PDF available
From: Tony Graham <Tony.Graham@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2007 11:26:16 +0000
On Fri, Dec 14 2007 12:31:37 +0000, andrew.j.welch@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
> You mention black box testing under the unit test heading... which
> doesn't quite fit.
>
> Personally I don't think you can unit test XSLT*, it's only really
> worthwhile to test the output for a given set of inputs.

Which is the sense in which I used "black box".

If the specification for the transform includes:

   'art' becomes 'article' containing 'front/article-meta'.

then you could use one of the unit testing frameworks to test that part
of the specification without needing to look inside the stylesheet.  You
could also use Schematron (Debbie Lapeyre was teaching Schematron in the
next timeslot) or other methods to do the same thing.

Regards,

Tony Graham.
Tony.Graham@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx   http://www.menteithconsulting.com

Menteith Consulting Ltd             Registered in Ireland - No. 428599
Menteith Consulting -- Understanding how markup works