Re: [xsl] Re: Identity transformation for XSLT 2.0

Subject: Re: [xsl] Re: Identity transformation for XSLT 2.0
From: "bryan rasmussen" <rasmussen.bryan@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 23 Dec 2007 15:22:35 +0100
> Perhaps. I feel rather strongly about standards conformance.

There are lots of standards. Nobody conforms to every standard. There
are sets of standards that can be naturally thought of as being
related to each other. I am not sure that the data uri scheme could be
considered as a standard that naturally works with the core XML
standards, it is more naturally related to browsers and the standards
pertinent to browsers.

>     bryan> I suppose that one
>     bryan> could write a parser for data uris but with xsl:function
>
> A parser? Do you mean a URI resolver?
Actually I think we misunderstood each other. In the reference to
Saxon:parse I figured the problem was the parsing of data uris, you
seem to want to resolve them, meaning to get the file locally as an
unparsed document and construct a data uri, for example image src
equals data uri....?

Otherwise, if what you meant was to parse the Data URI, so that
data:application/xml;base64,......
became an actual XML for processing in the context of whatever
document the XSL-T was already processing then I don't think I would
describe that as resolving the URI. The data indicated by the data URI
does not need to be retrieved, it needs to be processed.
I may be wrong in that opinion however.

Cheers,
Bryan Rasmussen