Re: [xsl] xalan and replace "regex"

Subject: Re: [xsl] xalan and replace "regex"
From: Mansour <mansour77@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2007 10:20:25 -0400
Ok, look, I have a somewhat big docbook files. I have been using xalan to process them. I have just tried with saxon9 and the processing failed with this message:

Running an XSLT 1.0 stylesheet with an XSLT 2.0 processor
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: com/icl/saxon/pattern/NodeTest
at java.lang.Class.privateGetDeclaredMethods(Class.java:2427)
at java.lang.Class.privateGetPublicMethods(Class.java:2547)
at java.lang.Class.getMethods(Class.java:1410)
at net.sf.saxon.functions.JavaExtensionLibrary.bind(JavaExtensionLibrary.java:301)
at net.sf.saxon.functions.FunctionLibraryList.bind(FunctionLibraryList.java:83)
at net.sf.saxon.expr.ExpressionParser.parseFunctionCall(ExpressionParser.java:1840)
at net.sf.saxon.expr.ExpressionParser.parseBasicStep(ExpressionParser.java:1324)

How, do I need to re-write everything to use saxon so I can hl my code or just stick to what I have?

Abel Braaksma wrote:
It depends. If you need to do text parsing, XSLT 1.0 will make it very hard for you because of its very limited standard text parsing functions. So, if you want to do what you said in your original post, color highlighting of programming code, you will end up spending weeks of coding in XSLT 1.0, where in XSLT 2.0 it would (possibly) be a matter of hours.

So, "good idea" really depends. If you like to code and spend much time to it, use XSLT 1.0, if not, and you rather use a tool that suits the job better, choose XSLT 2.0 (or anything else that would make color highlighting easier, there are many tools around that can do that readily).

-- Abel Braaksma

Mansour wrote:
I don't know if this would be a good idea at this point.

Michael Kay wrote:
Is there any way I can use replace with xalan.

The replace() function is new in XSLT 2.0, and Xalan only supports XSLT 1.0.
Switch to Saxon.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/