Re: [xsl] xpath query

Subject: Re: [xsl] xpath query
From: "Sean Tiley" <sean.tiley@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2008 11:38:32 -0500
Thank you all.

I was thinking last night, typically I just output an html file to see
the results of my transformation.
Then I thought what if I just wanted to process the original xml file,
replace the apply="1" with apply="true" and write the results to
another xml file
I read elsewhere in the archives about the identity template and the
suggestion is basically the following (to just replicate the original
xml)
<xsl:stylesheet xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform"; version="2.0">
<xsl:output method="xml" indent="yes"/>
   <xsl:template match="@* | node()">
       <xsl:copy>
       </xsl:copy>
   </xsl:template>
</xsl:stylesheet>

Which works as advertised.
I understand that I can create another template to match what ever I
like to futrher refine the output like this

 <xsl:template match="@apply">
       <xsl:attribute name="apply">
           <xsl:value-of select="replace(., '1', 'true')"/>
       </xsl:attribute>
   </xsl:template>

So far so good.
I have 2 questions though.
1) - In the first template that copies the original xml, the
expression select="@* | node()" What is this saying?
I read it is another way of phrasing this select="attribute() |
element() | text() | comment() | processing-instruction()" (which
seems much clearer)
Either expression does what I want, but I am trying to map the first
expression "@* | node()" onto the latter.
I am pretty sure the @* means all attributes?  If this is the case how
does "node()" translate to "element() | text() | comment() |
processing-instruction()"?

2) - Also related to the first template. Why do I need the
<xsl:template match="@* | node()"> and
<xsl:apply-templates select="@* | node()"/> in the <xsl:copy/> tag?
I would have thought in the template match "/" would have sufficed.
(When I try that, I just get the values from the nodes).

Also in the thread Abel stated
>I think many people find this at first confusing: when do you get a node
>set, when do you get one node, when do you get a sequence or a sequence
>of nodes, when do you need apply-templates, when for-each or
>for-each-group etc etc. Getting it straight is vital for working with
>XSLT without frustration.

Do you know of any resources, either online or in print that explain
these concepts well with good examples?  I would really like to make
this confusion
a thing of the past for myself.
Thanks in advance
Sean