Re: [xsl] Request help in understanding: node instance of schema-element(node)

Subject: Re: [xsl] Request help in understanding: node instance of schema-element(node)
From: Wendell Piez <wapiez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2008 16:30:44 -0500
Eliot,

At 01:14 PM 1/28/2008, you wrote:
I think there's an important third reason, schema-driven editing, where the schema is used by an editing tool to assist with creating XML documents. In that case schemaLocation is a convenience for binding a particular document to the schema to use to guide and constrain authoring.

Yes: see my response to Tony Coates, who points out the same thing.

Also, there is the important case of documents that have elements not in a namespace--in that case there is no better solution than schemaLocation for binding elements to their governing schemas. But I also agree that in that case schemaLocation is no better than a DOCTYPE declaration since you can't even check to see if the schema referenced matches the schema you have configured for use with a given namespace.

Indeed. Either namespaces are relied on to determine sets of rules to which a given sets of elements should conform, or they're not, and you have to do it some other way, and so does your stylesheet. :-)

Cheers,
Wendell