RE: [xsl] Phd Project - XSL for XML to X3D

Subject: RE: [xsl] Phd Project - XSL for XML to X3D
From: "Michael Kay" <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 3 Feb 2008 18:11:55 -0000
> So I am simultaneously learning
>
> -MySQL
> -PHP
> -XML/XSLT
> -X3D
>
> alongside the development of a realtime multichannel audio
> environment built in PureData
>
> as well as gathering data and information about the field
> under study, namely sound art.
>
> There is a year left of the project, and it should be clear
> to you that gaining a comprehensive understanding of all
> these languages in this time would be a real challenge.

Yes, the number of different technologies that developers have to master
nowadays is worryingly large. All the more reason to be as efficient as
possible in one's approach to learning. My approach if I have to do a
significant project in a new language is always to start by reading a good
book on the subject. I think that forums like this one are great for
removing obstacles when you get stuck on a problem, but they are not an
effective way of learning the basics.

I don't think you need a comprehensive understanding of a language to write
useful code in that language, but I do thing you need a very solid
understanding of the core principles; trying to write code without first
learning the basics is a very inefficient use of your time.

> Are there any particular resources you would recommend for
> learning XML/XSLT if such solutions are not forthcoming?

Well, I'm biased of course, but I'd recommend my own books: XSLT 2.0
Programmers Reference and XPath 2.0 Programmers Reference from Wiley. If
your library doesn't have a copy, complain.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/