[xsl] Eliminating duplicate search results

Subject: [xsl] Eliminating duplicate search results
From: "Kafai Publishing" <info@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2008 17:20:00 +0100
Hello.

I am trying to search through XML containing poems. XML for one poem:

   <gedicht>
     <id>gedicht_20071204_fopstronk</id>
     <titel>Fopstronk</titel>
     <jaar>2007</jaar>
     <maand>12</maand>
     <dag>04</dag>
     <strofen>
       <regel>omdat jij niet oplet</regel>
       <regel>doe ik het snel</regel>
       <regel>&#160;</regel>
       <regel>want als jij niet</regel>
       <regel>dan ik wel</regel>
     </strofen>
     <plaats></plaats>
     <commentaar></commentaar>
   </gedicht>

. Now, for each occurrence of a search query value within an element <regel>
(line) I want to see the contents of the parent element <titel> (title).

This, I succeed in, using this XSL:

<xsl:for-each select="strofen/regel">
<xsl:variable name="line" select="."/>
<xsl:variable name="linelow"
select="translate($line,'ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ','abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz')"/>
 <xsl:if test="contains($linelow,$querylow)">
  <xsl:copy-of select="../../titel" />
 </xsl:if>
</xsl:for-each>

. However, this returns 1 title for each line containing the query. This
leads to multiple occurrences of the same title, as the query can be present
in multiple lines of 1 poem. As is visible in my output:

http://www.chielie.nl/gedichten/searchtest.xml

. Now. I have read this post:

http://www.biglist.com/lists/lists.mulberrytech.com/xsl-list/archives/200501/msg00244.html

which should, I think, solve my problem. But I cannot figure out how to
translate it into something that works in my situation.

I would greatly appreciate any and all help.

I am using XSL version 1 with the XSL1 processor in MSIE7.

Regards,

Kafai Publishing
Michiel F.E. van Reenen
Minckelersweg 8-101
2031 EM Haarlem
t +31 (0) 630646049
f +31 (0) 847439591
info@xxxxxxxx
http://www.kafai.nl/
KvK Amsterdam 34191142
"Brilliance is built on hard and methodical labour"