Re: [xsl] Use of data() function

Subject: Re: [xsl] Use of data() function
From: "Andrew Welch" <andrew.j.welch@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2008 16:37:29 +0000

On 04/03/2008, Michael Kay <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> It occurs when the node is an element with element-only content (which
>  necessarily means it is schema-validated). For example the person element in

Thanks, I see a lot of this is in the XDM spec... (which I've never
had the pleasure of reading until now)

The key sections are:
http://www.w3.org/TR/xpath-datamodel/#TypedValueDetermination

and:
http://www.w3.org/TR/xpath-datamodel/#const-psvi-element
(type-valued section heading)

Out of interest, what is the reasoning behind allowing a mixed content
element's typed-value to be its string value, but making it an error
for element-only content?

Is it that you can't guarantee to get a string from element only
content, but mixed content you can (somehow) ?

thanks
--
Andrew Welch
http://andrewjwelch.com