Re: [xsl] Slow XSLT

Subject: Re: [xsl] Slow XSLT
From: Cleyton Jordan <cleytonjordan@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2008 17:09:05 +0000 (GMT)
Hi David,

I have noticed that the rendering can take a long time
for a long table. Therefore, I am measuring only the
time to transform not render.

I will also take into account your suggestion to use
fixed length for the width of columns. But for now I
am only worried about improving the performance of the
transformation.

In my previous email, I asked you what you thought
about using keys. Don't you think this could improve
the transformation? The problem is that I cannot
figure out what key to produce. Do you have any ideas?

Cheers

--- David Carlisle <davidc@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > it still takes 7 seconds to transform in IE and
> > Firefox.
>
> is that to do the transform or to render it?
>
> If you are generating a large table then it can take
> a long time to
> render. Do the transform using saxon or some other
> command line
> processor to generate an html file and see how long
> it takes to render
> that. (It's often possible to speed up table
> rendering by telling teh
> css system that it has a fixed layout with fixed
> width columns, so that
> it can do progressive rendering rather than wait
> until the end to
> calculate widths,
>

> > I was wondering if using KEYS it would help to
> improve
> > the transformation?
>
> probably nor, the only thing I noticed that might be
> inefficient is
>
>   <xsl:template match="Cell[not(*)]">
>     <xsl:for-each select="/Report/Measures/Measure">
>     </xsl:for-each>
>   </xsl:template>
>

> which does the same pass over the top of the
> document repeatedly, that
> could be written as
>
>   <xsl:template match="Cell[not(*)]">
>     <xsl:copy-of select=""blankcell"/>
>   </xsl:template>
>
>   <xsl:variable name="blankcell">
>     <xsl:for-each select="/Report/Measures/Measure">
>     </xsl:for-each>
>   </xsl:variable>
>
>  David

> The Numerical Algorithms Group Ltd is a company
> registered in England
> and Wales with company number 1249803. The
> registered office is:
> Wilkinson House, Jordan Hill Road, Oxford OX2 8DR,
> United Kingdom.
>
> This e-mail has been scanned for all viruses by
> Star. The service is
> powered by MessageLabs.

Sent from Yahoo! Mail.
The World's Favourite Email http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/nowyoucan.html