[xsl] Implementation of Multi Formatting Objects in FO-processors

Subject: [xsl] Implementation of Multi Formatting Objects in FO-processors
From: "Dirk van Laanen" <dirk.van.laanen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2008 11:54:13 +0100
Compliance for Multi Formatting Objects
(http://www.w3.org/TR/xsl/#d0e12855)
seems to be poor in current FO-processors.

Ken Holman, Definitive XSL-FO (Prentice Hall 2003; printed version),
p. 273-274, also deals with the topic.

Sometimes it is referred to as 'not applicable' or 'not relevant to
PDF', but
this seems to be focussing solely on the printing side of pdf.
Bookmarks, after
all, seem to be fairly regularly implemented in pdf, also in xsl-fo
derived pdf's
(formerly used fox:outline has been replaced with the XSL 1.1
equivalents
fo:bookmark and fo:bookmark-tree).

I'd like to see a feature that, like pdf bookmarks, can toggle text from
visible to hidden by expanding and collapsing certain area's.

The only mention of implementation of Multi Formatting Objects I could
find,
was for Antenna House XSL Formatter V3.4 (not a recent version, I think)
http://www.antennahouse.com/xslfo/axf3fo.htm
and that only for fo:multi-case.

Does anybody know of any imminent implementations in any FO-processor?

Does anybody have a url to a pdf that renders these Multi Formatting
Objects?

Would anybody know of a similar technique that could be used? I don't
think that
fo:bookmark-tree is useful for full-blown text (as opposed to the
restricted appearance
of bookmarks)

Any url for reading up on the matter would also be appreciated

Cheers, Dirk