[xsl] fallback to a default template in xsl processing

Subject: [xsl] fallback to a default template in xsl processing
From: "Daly, April" <april@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2008 20:29:17 +0100
Hi!

I have what I hope is a simple question for the xsl/xpath gurus!

I would like to be able to apply a default template within xsl 1.0 if no match
is found. Currently I'm using an ugly  'brute-force' approach using
<xsl:choose>:

<xsl:choose>
   <xsl:when test="name()='A' or name()='B'">
      <xsl:apply-templates mode='namedTemplates' select='.'/>
   </xsl:when>
   <xsl:otherwise>
      <xsl:apply-templates mode='defaultTemplates' select='.'/>
   </xsl:otherwise>
</xsl:choose>

this is a simplfied example, but I hope it shows what I'm trying to do.

Is there a better way to apply a named template if 'found' otherwise apply a
default template?

Thanks (in advance) for your help!

April
April L Daly