RE: [xsl] Problem with iterating through a sequence of integers

Subject: RE: [xsl] Problem with iterating through a sequence of integers
From: "Michael Kay" <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2008 01:50:53 +0100
It's the same as doing

<xsl:if test="false()">
  <xsl:value-of select="2 + 'London'"/>
</xsl:if>

Specifically: if there's a type error in an expression that would cause it
inevitably to fail if executed, then a static error can be reported
regardless of the fact that the expression will in fact not be executed.
Without this rule, you would get far fewer compile-time errors, which would
not be a good thing.

I presume this is actually generated code, since I can't imagine any
intelligent human writing it (unless perhaps to test the behaviour of the
processor). It's certainly true that type-checking rules make it harder to
generate code that will get through the compiler, but I think that's a price
worth paying.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/