RE: [xsl] Copy element content to another nested empty element

Subject: RE: [xsl] Copy element content to another nested empty element
From: "Michael Kay" <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 1 May 2008 15:56:10 +0100
I think your basic problem is here:

<xsl:template match="phrase">
  <xsl:variable name="phrase" select="@name"/>
  <xsl:variable name="list" select="@list"/>
select="//lists/list[@name=$list]/option[@id=$phrase]"/></span>
</xsl:template>

You are taking the "value-of" an option element (which flattens it to a
string), but the option element actually has internal structure that needs
to be further processed. So try this instead:

<xsl:template match="phrase">
  <xsl:variable name="phrase" select="@name"/>
  <xsl:variable name="list" select="@list"/>
     <xslapply-templates
select="//lists/list[@name=$list]/option[@id=$phrase]"/>
</xsl:template>

I haven't tested this, but it should be the only change you need to make.
Except that if your data contains cycles, your code will probably blow up
with a "stack full" error.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/