RE: [xsl] Generically Finding Parent Elements

Subject: RE: [xsl] Generically Finding Parent Elements
From: "Michael Kay" <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 6 May 2008 00:03:13 +0100
You're not explaining yourself well. You've shown some source XML (good) and
have then said that the actual XML might be completely different (so why
show it?).  Then you say:

>I need to be able to pull the parent node tree into a variable so I can
then loop over them.

Parent of what? What is a "parent node tree"? What does "them" refer to (I
can't find a plural noun)? Why do you want to loop over "them"? Why do you
imagine that pulling it/them into a variable will help? And last but not
least, what output are you trying to produce?

Perhaps (guessing wildly) you just want

<xsl:for-each select="ancestor::*">

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/