[xsl] About xsl-fo features when printing same layout to different page sizes

Subject: [xsl] About xsl-fo features when printing same layout to different page sizes
From: "Dominguez, Curro, VF-ES (fdoming4)" <francisco-javier.dominguez1@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 May 2008 14:30:12 +0200
Hi everybody,

I'm looking for some answers about what xsl-fo can do and I hope some of
you could help me. I'm new in this list and in xsl-fo, I've searched and
read other posts, but I haven't found the answers. So, thank you very
much for your time.

I want to show the 'same content' but formatted for different page
sizes. So, let's say I have size1, size2 and size3. And let's say I have
an xsl1 which is for size1. The layout of the page is similar to a
newspaper, it means, several text and images blocks, sometimes
multicolumn, hyphenation and intelligent paragraph layout.

As I know the size of the blocks/areas, if I want to show this on the
size2 page, it's easy to resize the areas.

But, of course, the text inside the areas will have to change (more or
less text, different hyphen positions, bigger column size...) in order
to fit the new size and be readable. I think I'll probably have to
change the font size of the text in order to maintain the proportion
(I'm not sure about this).

So, my questions here are:

1. Is this something xsl-fo can handle? Is xsl-fo suited for this? Is
the best way?
2. Can I just work whit an xsl1 for size1, resize the areas for size2
and that's all or is it a more complex process and it will involve to
create new xsl (new design) for every size I have?
3. If size3 is much smaller than size1, the only option is to remove
some areas from the page. Is there a way to do this with the xsl1 and,
let's say, applying priorities to the different blocks, so if the page
size is small, it removes less priority areas and 'reorder/expand' the
other ones (maybe I'm asking too much)?
4. What happens with images?

I know these are a lot of questions an I'd really appreciat your
comments.
Again, thank you very much for your help.

Regards,

Curro

Confidencialidad
Este correo electrsnico y, en su caso, cualquier fichero anexo al mismo,
contiene informacisn de caracter confidencial exclusivamente dirigida a su
destinatario o destinatarios y propiedad de Vodafone Espaqa. Queda prohibida
su divulgacisn, copia o distribucisn a terceros sin la previa autorizacisn
escrita de Vodafone Espaqa, en virtud de la legislacisn vigente. En el caso de
haber recibido este correo electrsnico por error, se ruega notificar
inmediatamente esta circunstancia mediante reenvmo a la direccisn electrsnica
del remitente y la destruccisn del mismo.

Confidentiality
The information in this e-mail and in any attachments is classified as
Vodafone Espaqa Confidential and Proprietary Information and solely for the
attention and use of the named addressee(s). You are hereby notified that any
dissemination, distribution or copy of this communication is prohibited
without the prior written consent of Vodafone Espaqa and is s strictly
prohibited by law. If you have received this communication in error, please,
notify the sender by reply e-mail.