Re: [xsl] XSLT functions for JSON

Subject: Re: [xsl] XSLT functions for JSON
From: Liam Quin <liam@xxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 19 May 2008 00:21:49 -0400
On Sun, May 18, 2008 at 12:55:42PM -0600, M. David Peterson wrote:
> On Sun, 18 May 2008 12:47:12 -0600, Robert Koberg <rob@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> >Again, the best that could be done is to follow the rules laid out by
> >org.json
>
> Right, but is the conversion itself even necessary to be enabled to
> traverse the array/sequence via XPath 2.0/XSLT 2.0?

In principle, an XPath 2.0 implementation (including XQuery or
XSLT) could present a JSON file as an instance of the XPath etc etc
Data Model and it could be queried directly.

I don't know if there are systems that do this in practice;
it doesn't sound terribly useful to me, since I see JSON as for
Web server -> Web Browser communication over HTTP, primarily for
use with JavaScript, and if you wanted interoperability with
XSLT you'd send XML instead.

Liam

http://www.holoweb.net/~liam/ * http://www.fromoldbooks.org/