RE: [xsl] One-based indexes in XPath

Subject: RE: [xsl] One-based indexes in XPath
From: "Michael Kay" <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 May 2008 18:05:03 +0100
Because the language was designed for users, not for programmers, and users
still have this old-fashioned habit of referring to the first chapter in a
book as Chapter One. (Though I did once hear Dijkstra refer to the fourth
slide in someone's presentation as the third.)

(I fully agree that when handling tables, or subscripting into strings,
zero-based addressing would often be much more convenient. There are
arguments both ways, and as always, I can't tell you what the actual history
of the decision was; I can only post-rationalize it.)

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/