Re: [xsl] Upgrading from server side MSXML to Saxon.Net

Subject: Re: [xsl] Upgrading from server side MSXML to Saxon.Net
From: "M. David Peterson" <m.david@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 29 May 2008 06:22:16 -0600
Hi Andrew,

Just noticing this post after making an attempt this morning to get caught up on email backlog.

On Thu, 22 May 2008 03:52:29 -0600, Andrew Welch <andrew.j.welch@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Side question: does anyone know the latest on whether there will be a
Microsoft XSLT 2.0 processor?

I decided back in November when Chris Lovett's "Future of XML on the .NET platform" surfaced -- highlighting the same old "If you, as one of our customers, want XSLT 2.0 support, then please let us know" song and dance they've been doing since the original "XSLT 2.0 Sir" post heard round the XML world -- that it was pointless paying attention to what MSFT was doing in the XML space. At least for the foreseeable future.

That said, Mike Champion made a follow-up comment[1] to Kurt Cagle's XML predictions for 2008 on January 3rd of this year, which was about a month and half after my "MSFT can ki$$ my a$$" rant spurred by the above mentioned Chris Lovett post, that specified,

"LINQ to XML did indeed replace XQuery as the presumably mainstream-friendly *alternative* to XSLT in .NET 3.5, but the resources that might have been devoted to XSLT 2.0 went to building XSLT tools (e.g. the new debugger), not to LINQ. Those folks are now working on XSLT2, and it is reasonable to expect it in the next major .NET release after 3.5. (Just my guess as a former team member!).

Whether a native .NET XSLT 2.0 implementation ever sees the light of day is not really something I am personally losing sleep over. My guess is that whether it be the next major .NET release, the one after that, or the one after that, at some point MSFT will upgrade their XSLT implementation to 2.0. But even in the best case scenario, with .NET 3.5 being released this last November, we're looking at another year and half to two years before there's any chance of a System.Xml.Xsl-based XSLT 2.0 processor surfacing.

My personal advice: As usual, use Saxon on .NET. Build your applications around it. In fact, use the non-portable Saxon-specific extension functions frivolously. You can count on Dr. Kay making every possible effort to build the fastest, most standards compliant, and most bug free XSLT 2.0 processor for both the Java and .NET platform, and therefore can count on your Saxon on .NET-based applications getting better, faster, and more reliable over time. You can't, nor should you count on Microsoft to make anywhere even close to the same effort.

Just my two cents.

[1] http://www.oreillynet.com/xml/blog/2007/12/xml_outlook_for_2008.html#comment-2208372

--
/M:D

M. David Peterson
Co-Founder & Chief Architect, 3rd&Urban, LLC
Email: m.david@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx | m.david@xxxxxx
Mobile: (206) 999-0588
http://3rdandUrban.com | http://amp.fm | http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/au/2354