Re: [xsl] starts-with on more than one item

Subject: Re: [xsl] starts-with on more than one item
From: Michael Ludwig <mlu@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 03 Jun 2008 18:15:35 +0200
Wendell Piez schrieb:

[interesting Oxford/Harvard comma discussion snipped]

We all know (although, as an American, I hesitate to speak for my
British colleagues) that the thread is way off topic, and has
undoubtedly gone on too long.

This particular and seemingly superfluous use of the comma in enumerations before the final conjunction, sometimes encountered when reading English, has always struck me as both odd and interesting, as it seems to introduce a pause or hesitation before concluding the list of items, thus lending particular emphasis to the last one.

So, thanks for this interesting digression.

(Much worse, in my opinion, the - maybe transatlantic - habit of putting
the endquote after the period, "like this." Completely illogical :-)

Michael Ludwig