Re: [xsl] XQuery basics

Subject: Re: [xsl] XQuery basics
From: "Andrew Welch" <andrew.j.welch@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2008 21:03:13 +0100
2008/6/4 Robert Koberg <rob@xxxxxxxxxx>:
> On Wed, 2008-06-04 at 13:13 -0400, Wendell Piez wrote:
>> At 12:59 PM 6/4/2008, Andrew wrote:
>> >I reckon a future architecture is going to be standalone transforms
>> >calling XQuery to get input - if a standard name for the initial
>> >template can be settled on (for example "main") then you could point
>> >your browser at whatever.xslt and the transform can be executed server
>> >side fetching input from a variety of sources and constructing the
>> >page, both languages working to their strengths.
>
> I don't understand. What would be the benefit of pointing to an XSL with
> nothing telling it what to do? I mean, how would XSL even know what the
> request was for without something driving it? And if you have something
> driving it, you have what we have now. What am I missing?

The goal is for XSLT to be the server side language in an end-to-end
XML architecure.  XSLT is the layer that generates the markup (the PHP
layer in wamp) and XQuery would be the MySQL layer.

"All" that's needed is a specification for the main template and a way
of passing in parameters - say "main" for the initial template and the
query string for the params... and perhaps a suitable acronym like
WAXX to promote it (windows, apache, xquery, xslt  (or eXist, saXon
for those last two))

You can already code full sites using eXist, but personally I would
prefer to use XSLT to generate the markup and leave data access to
xquery.

--
Andrew Welch
http://andrewjwelch.com