Re: [xsl] XQuery basics

Subject: Re: [xsl] XQuery basics
From: "Andrew Welch" <andrew.j.welch@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2008 11:01:04 +0100
2008/6/5 Eric Brichemier <eric.brechemier@xxxxxxxxx>:
>> I've read that (and most of the other articles since xml.com's
>> rejuvination) but I don't really have time to look into XForms at the
>> moment...
>>
>> Is it the next big thing?
>>
> I followed XForms and even implemented this kind of server-side XSLT +
> client-side XForms framework around 2003, and maybe I'm wrong because
> I did not check it lately, but my feeling is that XForms _was_ the
> next big thing until... nothing.
>
> At that time, back in 2003, I was convinced that Javascript was really
> wrong because of unequal support by browsers, and XForms was the way
> to go to discuss natively in XML with the server.
>
> I have been disappointed by XForms for its lack of flexibility to
> implement extensions beyond basic use cases. What I would have liked
> is the capability to embed XSLT inside XForms actions to do
> processings beyond "insert, delete and setindex".
>
> Today I would use Javascript + XMLHttpRequest or even JSON and it is
> definitely up to the task.

Thanks for that overview - I would hope the next big thing for us are
end-to-end xml solutions, with eXist pioneering the way as the
framework and XSLT 2.0 becoming the server side language of choice.

The next big web technology in general could be JavaFX and applets
finally realising their potential with release of the "Consumer JRE"
(Java 6 update 10)... in fact I would've thought client side XSLT 2.0
could be achieved through a simple applet wrapper for Saxon... (yet
another thing on the todo list).

--
Andrew Welch
http://andrewjwelch.com