Re: [xsl] XQuery basics

Subject: Re: [xsl] XQuery basics
From: Robert Koberg <rob@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 06 Jun 2008 09:06:45 -0400
On Fri, 2008-06-06 at 08:33 -0400, Liam Quin wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 05, 2008 at 04:07:16PM -0400, Robert Koberg wrote:
> > On Thu, 2008-06-05 at 15:29 -0400, Liam Quin wrote:
> > > Are there things that we (W3C) should be standardising in that
> > > area?
> >
> > Well, these would be web application specific.
>
> I'm not following you... do you mean that you feel W3C
> should do more in the area of Web aplications (we are),
o;?
I meant that things like set/get-request-attribute('attrName')
and o;?set/get-session-attribute('attrName') are specific to web
applications (and maybe just java web applications). So, it would not
make sense for a general tool like XSL to have a focus on web
applications.

I was kind of joking with Andrew (perhaps my smiley was not enough to
indicate that). Andrew wants a way to use XSL files like some folk use
JSP or PHP (or in the case of eXist and others, XQuery). I don't think
it is a good idea from a memory (as Michael Kay reaffirmed in his post
on this thread) and functionality standpoint.

> or do
> you mean that you think W3C's primary or only use case for
> XSLT is for Web applications (it isn't)...?

no