Re: [xsl] Numbering in XSLT

Subject: Re: [xsl] Numbering in XSLT
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2008 15:04:01 -0400
In general, you are likely to get better results on XSL-List if you:

  - describe what you are trying to do (which you did),
  - describe how you approached it, what happened, and why you don't
    like the result you got
  - supply small samples of files that illustrate your question or
    problem. For example, an XML file, an XSLT stylesheet, the result
    you got, and the result you want - all in miniature (and remembering
    that everything posted to XSL-List is archived in public)

What you have done is to show your data and what you want without showing the XSLT you are working on. This is, essentially, asking the list to write your code for you, rather than asking for help with code you are writing.

-- Tommie

Hello All,

I am an absolute newbee to XSLT and have been cracking my head trying to achieve the following:

Sample XML file:

<date>
<ed date1="01/01/2007" id="1" />
<ed date1="01/01/2008" id="2" />
<ed date1="01/01/2008" id="3" />
<ed date1="01/01/2005" id="4" />
<ed date1="01/01/2008" id="5" />
<ed date1="01/01/2009" id="6" />
</date>

Now I want a numbered output as follows:

0. 01/01/2005,4
1. 01/01/2007,1
2. 01/01/2008,2
2. 01/01/2008,3
2. 01/01/2008,5
3. 01/01/2009,6

i.e I want a numbered o/p grouped by date1 as shown above. Help!

B. Tommie Usdin                        mailto:btusdin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  Mulberry Technologies: A Consultancy Specializing in XML and SGML