Re: [xsl] Printing CDATA from feed as HTML

Subject: Re: [xsl] Printing CDATA from feed as HTML
From: "Colin Adams" <colinpauladams@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2008 10:11:16 +0100
2008/6/13 Colin Paul Adams <colin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> Hm. Maybe not.
>
> There is a portability problem here, in that there is a dependency
> upon the Unicode encoding form used by the implementation.
>
> For instance, Gestalt currently uses UTF-8, so you need to specify:
>
> data:application.xml; charset=UTF-8
>
> but I am currently re-engineering it to use UTF-32 (amongst other
> changes), and so there is a problem.
>
> Now the implementation would be able to supply the actual encoding
> using a higher level protocol (something internal to the
> implementation of fn:doc()). You then have a clash between the
> labelled encoding, and the encoding supplied by the higher level
> protocol.

Actually, I'm talking nonsense there.
The higher level protocol IS the charset as supplied (or defaulted) by
the data URI. The parameter won't include an XML declaration, so there
isn't a labelling conflict. There IS a (potential) conflict between
the implementation's Unicode encoding form and the charset on the data
URI, so I wasn't talking complete nonsense - the portability problem
is real.

The solution is for the implementation of the data URI to silently
override the supplied encoding. I'm not sure if that is legitimate or
not. I suppose you can just say that it's an even higher level
protocol.

I wish I hadn't started this thread spinoff!