RE: [xsl] XSLT 1.0 support in browsers, as of June 2008

Subject: RE: [xsl] XSLT 1.0 support in browsers, as of June 2008
From: "Michael Kay" <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2008 16:23:49 +0100
> Also, inreality how expensive is the ancestor axis?
>
> Saxon's TinyTree is interesting in that only the last sibling
> contains the parent pointer, so to get the parent/ancestor
> the siblings are traversed first to find the parent (I think
> anyway) which suggests it could be expensive.

That was true at one time. These days a pointer to the parent is inserted
once every 20 children or so, so you avoid the pathological case. (In any
case this only tended to arise with data-oriented XML; with documents the
number of children per parent is rarely very large.)

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/