Re: [xsl] XSLT 1.0 support in browsers, as of June 2008

Subject: Re: [xsl] XSLT 1.0 support in browsers, as of June 2008
From: Liam Quin <liam@xxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2008 13:52:34 -0400
On Wed, Jun 18, 2008 at 04:23:49PM +0100, Michael Kay wrote:
> [...]
> These days a pointer to the parent is inserted
> once every 20 children or so, so you avoid the pathological case. (In any
> case this only tended to arise with data-oriented XML; with documents the
> number of children per parent is rarely very large.)

I remember that Author/Editor, SoftQuad's SGML editor, had that
assumption too, for reformatting the document.

And then we started to get customers who were editing dictionaries
or encyclopaedias, with A.sgml (say) maybe 10,000 "entry" children,
and it was taking 45 minutes to make a change.

I agree, it's pretty rare... but for the people who enconter it,
it tends to happen all the time, of course.

Liam

http://www.holoweb.net/~liam/ * http://www.fromoldbooks.org/