RE: [xsl] the future of xslt

Subject: RE: [xsl] the future of xslt
From: "Michael Kay" <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2008 00:11:02 +0100
> > These graphs are interesting, but one of the reasons why
> its difficult
> > to draw conclusions from search trends on their own is the
> variety of keywords (such as 'XSL', 'XSLT 2.0' or 'XML Stylesheet')
> that may be used in a search .

Can anyone explain the dominance of Czech in the languages and India in the
locations? It doesn't seem to make sense. The top countries for Saxon
downloads and purchases are the USA and Germany, yet those countries hardly
figure. Perhaps search volumes are dominated by students rather than real
users?

Also, what is the vertical scale on the graphs? Are they measuring the
absolute number of searches, or the proportion of the whole? If the latter,
it could simply be that Google use by non-programmers has grown faster than
use by programmers.

But I do think that the level of searching is going to be time-shifted from
the level of usage. Book sales for XML and XSLT are way down from 2000
levels, but usage for both is vastly greater.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/