Re: AW: [xsl] XML to PDF (XSL:FO)

Subject: Re: AW: [xsl] XML to PDF (XSL:FO)
From: Wendell Piez <wapiez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2008 13:01:30 -0400
Hi Andrew,

At 05:32 AM 6/26/2008, you wrote:
> XSL-FO is definitively in scope for XSL-List, which is devoted to anything
> directly related to XSL, including XSL-FO. While readers should certainly be
> encouraged to explore other venues as well, please don't take this hint to
> mean that XSL-FO questions are off topic here.

hmmm risking it here but.... aren't FO specific questions like asking
XHTML specific questions, eg "how do I put text alongside the
image"... which is why we don't see many on here as there are more
specific FO lists.

Yes, they are not unlike.

The two don't really belong on the same list, and probably are just
for historical reasons?  Does the xsl-list predate the xsl split into
xslt and FO ?

Yes, XSL-List does predate the split. Tony Graham, the list's founder, posted the first message to XSL-List on Feb 16, 1998. XSLT was split into its own spec (while still being called formally into XSL) in April 1999.

http://www.w3.org/TR/1999/WD-xsl-19990421
http://www.w3.org/TR/1999/WD-xslt-19990421

The XSL-List archives are a good place to trace this development. :-)

In fact, as is indicated by what you find at http://www.w3.org/Style/XSL/ and http://www.w3.org/TR/xsl/, even now the split isn't perfectly clean.

Cheers,
Wendell