RE: [xsl] Windows-style CRLF in text output

Subject: RE: [xsl] Windows-style CRLF in text output
From: "Michael Kay" <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 4 Jul 2008 09:49:26 +0100
The specification doesn't say how line endings will be represented by the
text output method.

One thing you can be sure of is that the way they are represented in the
stylesheet makes no difference: the XML parser will always normalize line
endings to a single x0A character.

Saxon doesn't do anything special: if the stylesheet contains

<xsl:text>&#x0a;</xsl:text>

then it will write an xA character, whereas if it contains

<xsl:text>&#x0d;&#x0a;</xsl:text>

then it will write xDxA. Of course there's plenty of scope for the Java
runtime and the operating system to change that before it hits the disk. In
fact one way to achieve what you want might be to write a Java Writer that
adjusts the line endings as required, and send the transformation output to
that Writer.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/