RE: [xsl] Copy results

Subject: RE: [xsl] Copy results
From: "Michael Kay" <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2008 21:15:40 +0100
> There may be error handling issues

Thanks for mentioning that: that's certainly one of the areas where XSLT is
a weak candidate for the control layer of the application; it's not good at
error handling.

> Imagine something that dealt
> Michael Kay's new book (which I am finding very helpful BTW - and
> would love to know just which tools were used to produce it).

I'm afraid to disappoint you and other readers, but the technology and
process that Wiley use is not bleeding edge. All content is authored,
reviewed, and corrected in Word; then it gets moved into (I believe) Quark
for the pagination stage. If you want to know how all those page
cross-references were done, they were edited in manually after the
pagination was frozen. Sad, but true. Still, it might have been
labour-intensive, but this time round I think they did an excellent job.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/