RE: [xsl] Using "except" with node sequences

Subject: RE: [xsl] Using "except" with node sequences
From: "Michael Kay" <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2008 19:06:46 +0100
It works for me (I get <data id="3"> only).

Stylesheet:

<xsl:stylesheet version="2.0"

  <xsl:template match="/">
    <xsl:variable name="normalized_data" as="element()+">
        <data id="1">
           <info action="delete" />
           <info action="insert" />
           <stuff />
        </data>
        <data id="2">
           <info action="insert" />
           <stuff />
        </data>
        <data id="3">
          <stuff />
        </data>
    </xsl:variable>
    <olddata>
    <xsl:sequence select="$normalized_data[not(info/@action='delete')]
except
                             $normalized_data[info/@action='insert' or
info/@action='modify']" />
    </olddata>
  </xsl:template>

</xsl:stylesheet>

Result with Saxon 9.1 (any source document):

Though I wouldn't have written the code this way; I would write

$normalized_data[condition1 and not(condition2)]

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/